- Computational Chemistry Lab and System Manager
- Higher Professional Education +
We are looking for a passionate colleague to manage the computational chemistry labs and work stations within three research groups (Theoretical Chemistry, Molecular and Computational Toxicology, and Medicinal Chemistry) at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam. Sound interesting? Then, consider applying for the Computational Lab and System Manager position!
FTE: 1 - 1
The facilities of our research groups include computer labs with different hardware platforms (Linux and Mac) and a cluster of powerful computers to run our simulations. The research and teaching of our groups rely heavily on our software and hardware. To enhance the quality of our underlying infrastructure, we urgently need a good Computational Lab and System Manager to direct all technical aspects of our computers and software in both research and teaching settings.
- Manage the daily operations and serve as the node between the three department groups (Theoretical Chemistry, Molecular and Computational Toxicology, and Medicinal Chemistry) and both ITvO (HPC support and VU-BAZIS cluster) and University IT services
- Maintain and continually upgrade computer systems (Linux and MacOS
- Maintain software (installation, update, licenses (research and teaching
- Advise and assist in the purchase of new computer units when needed for members and students of the three department groups
- Troubleshoot issues with computations on the clusters (VU-BAZIS and other
- Work with and train new students and provide sample input files to run typical computations in the three department groups
- Coordinate research grant proposals for computing time on clusters
- Work effectively with computational chemistry colleagues to assist in archiving research data and optimizing data management strategies
- Performs other tasks, duties, and responsibilities as required
Required knowledge and experience:
- HBO or higher level of education in IT
- Interest/affinity with computation and chemistry
- Have experience in maintaining different computer systems (Linux, MacOS)
- Have experience with High Performance Computing (HPC) clusters
- Practical programming and data science experience/skills to support computational chemistry tasks, e.g. Python, Fortran, and/or C/C++, shell scripting, high-performance computing, pipelining tools, databases
- Have the ability and interest to learn and master various molecular simulation applications (e.g. ADF, Gromacs, MOE
What are we offering?
The initial temporary contract will be entered for the period for the period of 1 year.
Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
● a maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment,
● 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus,
● solid pension scheme (ABP),
● contribution to commuting expenses,
● optional model for designing a personalized benefits package.
About Vrije Universiteit AmsterdamThe ambition of Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is clear: to contribute to a better world through outstanding education and ground-breaking research. We strive to be a university where personal development and commitment to society play a leading role. A university where people from different disciplines and backgrounds collaborate to achieve innovations and to generate new knowledge. Our teaching and research encompass the entire spectrum of academic endeavor – from the humanities, the social sciences and the natural sciences through to the life sciences and the medical sciences.
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is home to more than 26,000 students. We employ over 4,600 individuals. The VU campus is easily accessible and located in the heart of Amsterdam’s Zuidas district, a truly inspiring environment for teaching and research.
We are an inclusive university community. Diversity is one of our most important values. We believe that engaging in international activities and welcoming students and staff from a wide variety of backgrounds enhances the quality of our education and research. We are always looking for people who can enrich our world with their own unique perspectives and experiences.
The Faculty of Science
The Faculty of Science inspires researchers and students to find sustainable solutions for complex societal issues. From forest fires to big data, from obesity to medicines and from molecules to the moon: our teaching and research programmes cover the full spectrum of the natural sciences. We share knowledge and experience with leading research institutes and industries, both here in the Netherlands and abroad.
Working at the Faculty of Science means working with students, PhD candidates and researchers, all with a clear focus on their field and a broad view of the world. We employ more than 1,250 staff members, and we are home to around 6,000 students.
Are you interested in this position? Please apply via the application button and upload the required documents (described below) by February 1, 2022. The job interviews are planned for the second week of February 7, 2022 and will take place either in person at the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam or via Zoom depending on the circumstances.
Please send the following information (as one PDF file):
- detailed CV (include information on your BSc and/or MSc studies, languages, achievements, expertise, laboratory skills
- motivation letter, addressed to Dr. Trevor A. Hamlin, explaining your motivation and suitability for the position, until February 1, 2022.
- contact details of at least two references (names, addresses, emails
- reference letter from at least one of the references
- academic diplomas and certificates, scanned copies
- Official academic transcript (i.e. documents enlisting your performance as BSc and, if applicable, MSc student over time by listing the course units or modules taken, credits gained and the grades awarded). If you have not completed your degree yet, then include all grades obtained so far
- English language skills certificate, for non-native English speakers
Applications received by e-mail will not be processed.
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact:
Position: TheoCheM Group Office Manager
No agencies Meer informatie en solliciteren