- Research Technician Chemical Biology
- University Graduate
Job descriptionThe Chemical Biology groups, located at the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, are looking for technical assistance with experience in molecular biology. Our international research groups are active in the field of biotechnology and protein engineering with a strong focus on the development of mRNA display technology, peptide-inspired ligands and structural elucidation. In the groups, such tools are used to develop bioactive compounds for the inhibition of protein‒protein interactions and for the stabilization of protein structure. The successful applicant will work in close collaboration with PhD students, senior scientists on the establishment of new model proteins in our lab and to generate a cell-free translation system. In addition he/she will assist during crystallization of ligand‒protein complexes and stabilized proteins. Additional information about the groups are available online:
- assist in planning and executing of sub-cloning into bacterial expression plasmids
- establish new protein expression and purification conditions
- generate a cell-free translation system and purify proteins along established protocols
- assist in setting up crystallization trials using high end liquid handling robotics
- We are looking for a motivated candidate with hands on experience in molecular biology, bacterial protein expression and protein purification.
- a qualification in laboratory skills, i.e. successfully finished Bachelor or Master, Hoger Laboratorium Onderwijs or equivalent
- hands-on experience with molecular biology techniques such as PCR, different sub-cloning techniques
- experience in protein purification, bacterial protein expression, affinity purification (e.g. Aekta FPLC), size exclusion chromatography, SDS-PAGE
- strong communication, organizational and social skills
- high competence in either English or Dutch is an absolute requirement (both are preferred)
- team player with the ability to work independently
- strong motivation for scientific research
What are we offering?A challenging position in a socially involved organization. On full-time basis the remuneration amounts to a minimum gross monthly salary of €2,656 (scale 8)
and a maximum €3,548 (scale 8), depending on your education and experience. The job profile: is based on the university job ranking system and is vacant for at least 1 FTE.
The initial employment contract will affect a period of 12 months.
Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- a maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus
- solid pension scheme (ABP)
- possibility to save holiday hours for sabbatical leave
- child daycare facilities available on campus
About Vrije Universiteit AmsterdamThe ambition of Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is clear: to contribute to a better world through outstanding education and ground-breaking research. We strive to be a university where personal development and commitment to society play a leading role. A university where people from different disciplines and backgrounds collaborate to achieve innovations and to generate new knowledge. Our teaching and research encompass the entire spectrum of academic endeavor – from the humanities, the social sciences and the natural sciences through to the life sciences and the medical sciences.
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is home to more than 26,000 students. We employ over 4,600 individuals. The VU campus is easily accessible and located in the heart of Amsterdam’s Zuidas district, a truly inspiring environment for teaching and research.
We are an inclusive university community. Diversity is one of our most important values. We believe that engaging in international activities and welcoming students and staff from a wide variety of backgrounds enhances the quality of our education and research. We are always looking for people who can enrich our world with their own unique perspectives and experiences.
The Faculty of Science
The Faculty of Science inspires researchers and students to find sustainable solutions for complex societal issues. From forest fires to big data, from obesity to medicines and from molecules to the moon: our teaching and research programmes cover the full spectrum of the natural sciences. We share knowledge and experience with leading research institutes and industries, both here in the Netherlands and abroad.
Working at the Faculty of Science means working with students, PhD candidates and researchers, all with a clear focus on their field and a broad view of the world. We employ more than 1,250 staff members, and we are home to around 6,000 students.
Chemical Biology Groups
The Chemical Biology groups belong to the organic chemistry division. We are part of the Department of Chemistry and Pharmaceutical Sciences of the Faculty of Science, and are part of the Amsterdam Institute for Molecules, Medicines and Systems (AIMMS). Within the Chemical Biology groups we are interested in designing and synthesizing ligand inspired peptidomimetics to modulate protein functions such as transcriptional activity. In addition, we apply our knowledge of peptide modifications to the chemical modification and stabilization of folded proteins. Structural elucidation via X-ray protein crystallography belongs to our core competences. The section is also involved in education within the Bachelor's and/or Master's degree programs in Pharmaceutical Sciences, Medical Natural Sciences, Science Business and Innovation and Biomolecular Sciences at VU University Amsterdam, as well as the Joint Degree Chemistry (VU University and University of Amsterdam).
ApplicationAre you interested in this position? Please apply via the application button and upload your curriculum vitae, cover letter and details of references until November 7, 2021.
Applications received by e-mail will not be processed.
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact:
Name: Sven Hennig (Assistant Prof. Structural Chemical Biology and Head of Crystallography) or Seino Jongkees (Assistant Prof. Chemical Biology and Biotechnology)
E-mail: email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org
No agencies Meer informatie en solliciteren