- COORDINATOR AI AND HEALTH NETWORKS
FTE: 0.8 - 1
Artificial Intelligence (AI) is one of the key research areas at the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU). To drive AI research even more, several strategic networks have been initiated. These networks span across multiple institutes or connect different scientific disciplines. We want to strengthen and expand these networks and are looking for a coordinator for three of these networks, namely:
- The VU Campus Center on AI & Health, bringing together AI and Health experts on the VU Campus
- Amsterdam Medical Data Science, creating a network for AI and Health experts in Amsterdam
- The Amsterdam AI coalition, uniting the key knowledge institutes in Amsterdam working on AI under the theme “AI Technology for People”
We are looking for candidates with a PhD degree, preferably on the intersection of AI and health. The candidate should have good networking and social skills and is expected to be the driving force to organise the activities of the aforementioned networks (e.g. seminars, matchmaking events, summer schools), to expand the networks and their visibility, and to act as a linking pin with the participating scientists and those managing the networks. The position will be formally embedded in the Quantitative Data Analytics group.
You will be responsible for the coordination of the three research networks, with the possibility to spend a limited part of the time on teaching and research activities. The coordination task contains the following duties:
- Initiation and organization of activities in the networks, including seminars, matchmaking events, summer schools, and calls for seed grants
- Helping to write research proposals to secure future funding for the continuity of the networks (including the funding for extension of the current position)
- Supporting management team members of the networks to collect information from the network and to report about the activities of the network
- Initiating activities to expand the networks and increase their visibility
We will base our selection on the following components:
- A PhD degree, preferably on the intersection of AI and Health
- Previous experience in the organization of scientific meetings and/or network activities
- Experience with attracting research funding, either individually or collaboratively
A challenging position in a socially involved organization. The salary will be in accordance with university regulations for academic personnel and amounts €2,790 (scale 10) per month up to €4,402 (scale 10) per month depending on your education and experience, based on a full-time employment. The job profile (Researcher 4 or Project Leader 1): is based on the university job ranking system and is vacant for at least 0.8 FTE.
What are we offering?
The contract will be fixed term for 1 year, with the ambition to extend it beyond that year
Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- a maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus
- solid pension scheme (ABP)
- contribution to commuting expenses
- optional model for designing a personalized benefits package
About Vrije Universiteit AmsterdamThe ambition of Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is clear: to contribute to a better world through outstanding education and ground-breaking research. We strive to be a university where personal development and commitment to society play a leading role. A university where people from different disciplines and backgrounds collaborate to achieve innovations and to generate new knowledge. Our teaching and research encompass the entire spectrum of academic endeavor – from the humanities, the social sciences and the natural sciences through to the life sciences and the medical sciences.
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is home to more than 26,000 students. We employ over 4,600 individuals. The VU campus is easily accessible and located in the heart of Amsterdam’s Zuidas district, a truly inspiring environment for teaching and research.
We are an inclusive university community. Diversity is one of our most important values. We believe that engaging in international activities and welcoming students and staff from a wide variety of backgrounds enhances the quality of our education and research. We are always looking for people who can enrich our world with their own unique perspectives and experiences.
The Faculty of Science
The Faculty of Science inspires researchers and students to find sustainable solutions for complex societal issues. From forest fires to big data, from obesity to medicines and from molecules to the moon: our teaching and research programmes cover the full spectrum of the natural sciences. We share knowledge and experience with leading research institutes and industries, both here in the Netherlands and abroad.
Working at the Faculty of Science means working with students, PhD candidates and researchers, all with a clear focus on their field and a broad view of the world. We employ more than 1,250 staff members, and we are home to around 6,000 students.
About the department
The VU Department of Computer Science has approximately 170 members, including 35 tenured staff members and 40-50 PhD students. The tenured staff members form the essential basis for the functioning of the department. A tenured staff member is required to make significant contributions to the research and education programmes, and to spend effort on specific tasks at the department level.
Are you interested in this position? Please apply via the application button until May 9, 2021. Please upload the following documents:
- Application letter
- Short statement (max one page) on your vision related to the running of these networks and the expansion thereof
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact:
Name: Mark Hoogendoorn
Position: Professor of Artificial Intelligence / Chair Quantitative Data Analytics Group
If you have any questions regarding moving to Amsterdam, and working at VU Amsterdam, you may contact:
Name: Sara Veldhorst
Position: Relocation Advisor
Telephone: +31 20 59 86212
No agencies Meer informatie en solliciteren