- Lecturer programming
- University Graduate
Are you a passionate educator and enthusiastic about programming? Then we are looking for you!Location: AMSTERDAM
FTE: 0.8 - 1
We seek a new colleague who will actively contribute to the teaching of programming at the Department of Computer Science at the Vrije Universiteit (VU) Amsterdam. Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is a leading research university that operates at the heart of society and science.
The VU Department of Computer Science (http://www.cs.vu.nl/) maintains highly successful programs in areas including AI, Bio-Informatics, Computer Systems, Security, Software Engineering, Green Computing, Theory and User-Centric Data Science.
Our Department seeks to attract a lecturer who can strengthen our team by giving high-quality instruction in the area of programming and related topics like algorithms and data structures.
The Department provides programming education to approximately 2000 students in our own and related degree programs. Among the programming languages taught are:
• Other domain-specific languages
We seek a colleague who can continue our long tradition in providing programming education that supports the development of life-long skills for computing professionals and scientific researchers. We are especially interested in helping with exploring new paradigms of programming education that can meet the needs of increasing numbers of students who come from a diverse set of academic backgrounds.
- You will be expected to teach three Bachelor-level courses and one Master-level course per year within the Department, plus at least one service course for members of other departments. Note that all of the instruction within our Department is in English. The ability to offer service teaching for other departments in Dutch is beneficial
- In addition to lecturing tasks, you will have the opportunity to participate in related student-centric activities, such as a role as study advisor or evaluator of student projects. You will spend about 80% of your time on teaching, which leaves around 20% to join the activities of research groups within the department
- English language proficiency
- Dutch language proficiency, or willingness to learn Dutch within 2 years of appointment
- Documented excellence in teaching, based on existing student/staff evaluations
- A Teacher Qualification/BKO, or the willingness to get this qualification,
- A willingness to participate in curriculum development and experimentation with new forms of lecturing
- A Ph.D. degree in a related field is preferred
- Experience in teaching computer programming
A challenging position in a socially involved organization. On full-time basis the remuneration amounts to a minimum gross monthly salary of €3,746 (scale 11) and a maximum €5,127 (scale 11), depending on your education and experience. The job profile: is based on the university job ranking system and is vacant for at least 0.8 FTE.
What are we offering?
The initial employment contract will affect a period of 5 years.
Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- a maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment
- 8% holiday allowance
- 8.3% end-of-year bonus
- solid pension scheme (ABP)
- contribution to commuting expenses
- optional model for designing a personalized benefits package
About Vrije Universiteit AmsterdamThe ambition of Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is clear: to contribute to a better world through outstanding education and ground-breaking research. We strive to be a university where personal development and commitment to society play a leading role. A university where people from different disciplines and backgrounds collaborate to achieve innovations and to generate new knowledge. Our teaching and research encompass the entire spectrum of academic endeavor – from the humanities, the social sciences and the natural sciences through to the life sciences and the medical sciences.
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is home to more than 26,000 students. We employ over 4,600 individuals. The VU campus is easily accessible and located in the heart of Amsterdam’s Zuidas district, a truly inspiring environment for teaching and research.
We are an inclusive university community. Diversity is one of our most important values. We believe that engaging in international activities and welcoming students and staff from a wide variety of backgrounds enhances the quality of our education and research. We are always looking for people who can enrich our world with their own unique perspectives and experiences.
The Faculty of Science
The Faculty of Science inspires researchers and students to find sustainable solutions for complex societal issues. From forest fires to big data, from obesity to medicines and from molecules to the moon: our teaching and research programmes cover the full spectrum of the natural sciences. We share knowledge and experience with leading research institutes and industries, both here in the Netherlands and abroad.
Working at the Faculty of Science means working with students, PhD candidates and researchers, all with a clear focus on their field and a broad view of the world. We employ more than 1,250 staff members, and we are home to around 6,000 students.
ApplicationAre you interested in this position? Please apply via the application button and upload your curriculum vitae and cover letter until May 1, 2021.
Applications received by e-mail will not be processed.
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact:
Name: Prof. Dr. Wan Fokkink
Position: Full Professor
No agencies Meer informatie en solliciteren