- Assistant Professor in Arabic language
Job descriptionThe successful candidate will be primarily responsible for the teaching and developing of curricula of BA- and post-academic courses on Classical/MSA Arabic (with focus on Quranic-Islamic source texts), using proficiency-based methodology, and (highly preferable) a course on Quranic recitation (tajwīd) for beginners. The candidate is also expected to carry out high level academic research in the field of Arabic and Islamic studies and contribute effectively to the broader research profile of the Centre and the Faculty. Therefore, we are looking for candidates with proper experience in the field of teaching Arabic on an academic level, with a relevant and competent research profile, in the context of Islamic theology and religious studies.
- PhD degree in Arabic language, Islamic studies or a related specialization
- Excellent/near-native proficiency in Arabic with strong competence in Classical Arabic and MSA. Expertise in Islamic Theology/studies is highly preferable
- At least 3 years of experience in teaching Arabic at an academic level
- Fluency in Dutch and English (ability to use English-based methods is appreciated); International applicants with no command of Dutch will comply to follow language courses and to provide education in Dutch on short-term)
- Excellent teaching skills and affinity with teaching at an academic level, preferably verified with BKO, UTQ, or equivalent teaching qualification (or willing to acquire it on short-term)
- Internationally-oriented publication list, which reflects the number of years of professional and academic experience (after completion of PhD)
- Demonstrable ability to acquire research grants/funding
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
What are we offering?A challenging position in a socially involved organization. On full-time basis the remuneration amounts to a minimum gross monthly salary of €3,637 (scale 11)
and a maximum €5,656 (scale 12), depending on your education and experience. The job profile: is based on the university job ranking system and is vacant for at least 0.6 FTE.
The initial employment contract will affect a period of 3 years, with the possibility of extension.
Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus
- contribution to commuting expenses
- optional model for designing a personalized benefits package
About Vrije Universiteit AmsterdamThe ambition of Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is clear: to contribute to a better world through outstanding education and ground-breaking research. And to be a university where personal education and societal involvement play a leading role. Where people from different disciplines and backgrounds work together on innovations and on generating new knowledge. Our teaching and research embrace the whole spectrum of science – from the humanities, the social sciences and the pure sciences through to the life sciences and the medical sciences.
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is home to more than 26,500 students. We employ more than 4,600 individuals. The VU campus is easily accessible, located in the heart of Amsterdam’s Zuidas district, a truly inspiring environment for teaching and research.
Diversity is one of our university’s core values. We are an inclusive community, and we believe that diversity and international activities enhance the quality of education and research. We are always looking for people who can enhance diversity on our campus thanks to their background and experience.
Faculty of Religion and Theology
The Faculty of Religion and Theology is the leading academic centre of expertise for religion in society. Students, lecturers and researchers focus on the major questions in society and in religious communities. They study religious traditions, sources and contemporary expressions of the religious experience. The faculty practises ‘engaged scholarship’ as expressed in cooperation with governments and partners in civil society on themes such as war and peace, sustainable development and inter-religious dialogue. We are the most comprehensive theological faculty worldwide, with ten seminaries for all world religions and many Christian denominations.
Working at Religion and Theology means contributing to excellent research and education through personal commitment, philosophical/religious involvement and social responsibility. We employ more than 100 staff.
About the department Texts and Traditions
The department of Texts and Traditions is the department in which historical disciplines, languages, philology and cultural studies work together. Which implies that the department has a strong cross-disciplinary character. It is also the place where different religions meet and where scolars discuss the dynamics and the structures of these religions. The department aims to be the place where scholarly discussions between specialists open up new avenues.
ApplicationAre you interested in this position? Please apply via the application button and upload your curriculum vitae and cover letter until April 26, 2020. The job interviews are planned for May 7th until May 14th. When possible please take them into account when applying for the position.
Applications received by e-mail will not be processed.
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact:
Name: Dr. Yaser Ellethy
Position: Associate Professor
No agencies Meer informatie en solliciteren