- Assistant Professor (Tenure Track) in Systems Neuroscience
Job descriptionWe are seeking talented investigators in the field of systems neuroscience with an emphasis on the role of neuronal circuits and cell types in behavior, who will develop an independent and innovative research program using rodent models. In particular, we look for candidates with ample experience using state-of-the-art techniques to study neural circuit function in behavior (e.g., opto-/chemogenetics, neurophysiological recordings, cell type-specific 2-photon/miniscope calcium imaging during behavior, viral tracing), within or related to the mesocorticolimbic system, and study how alterations of these circuits lead to behavioral and cognitive defects, mimicking those found in patients suffering from brain disorders. The successful candidate’s research program will help complement existing expertise within the department for which significant infrastructure and operating funds have already been acquired.
Successful candidates will be expected to:
- develop innovative, externally funded independent research programs that augment existing priorities, and result in scientific publications in high quality journals
- contribute to research in the NWO Gravitation consortium ‘Brainscapes’
- supervise graduate students
- contribute to undergraduate teaching, both at bachelor as well as master level
- You have completed a PhD in Neuroscience, or related field
- You have at least three years of postdoctoral research training outside the institute where PhD degree was obtained
- You have a strong publication record
- You have been able to acquire research funding
- You have a proven ability for academic supervision and training of students
- You have a University Teaching Qualification (UTQ/BKO), or are willing to obtain such a qualification within the first two years of your tenure track
- You master the English language at CEFR C1/C2 level
- Although not a requirement at the date of appointment, it is expected that you will reach CEFR B2 level in Dutch language within the tenure track period
What are we offering?A challenging position in a socially involved organization with a focus on excellence in science and education. On a full-time basis, the remuneration amounts to a minimum gross salary of € 3.637 (scale 11) and a maximum of € 4.978 (scale 11), depending on your level of education an experience. The job profile is based on the university job ranking system and is vacant for 1 fte.
We offer a tenure-track position at the level of Assistant Professor, initially for the duration of 5 years. Within an agreed period, tenure could be achieved if the faculty criteria for Assistant Professor are fulfilled. During the tenure, the performance will be evaluated in terms of teaching, publication record, and acquisition of prestigious personal grants or equivalent project funding. After a successful evaluation, permanent employment will be granted.
Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- a maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus
- solid pension scheme (ABP)
- contribution to commuting expenses
- optional model for designing a personalized benefits package
About Vrije Universiteit AmsterdamThe ambition of Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is clear: to contribute to a better world through outstanding education and ground-breaking research. And to be a university where personal education and societal involvement play a leading role. Where people from different disciplines and backgrounds work together on innovations and on generating new knowledge. Our teaching and research embrace the whole spectrum of science – from the humanities, the social sciences and the pure sciences through to the life sciences and the medical sciences.
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is home to more than 26,500 students. We employ more than 4,600 individuals. The VU campus is easily accessible, located in the heart of Amsterdam’s Zuidas district, a truly inspiring environment for teaching and research.
Diversity is one of our university’s core values. We are an inclusive community, and we believe that diversity and international activities enhance the quality of education and research. We are always looking for people who can enhance diversity on our campus thanks to their background and experience.
The Faculty of Science
The Faculty of Science inspires researchers and students to find sustainable solutions for complex societal issues. From forest fires to big data, from obesity to medicines and from molecules to the moon: our teaching and research programmes cover the full spectrum of the natural sciences. We share knowledge and experience with leading research institutes and industries, both here in the Netherlands and abroad.
Working at the Faculty of Science means working with students, PhD candidates and researchers, all with a clear focus on their field and a broad view of the world. We employ more than 1,250 staff members, and we are home to around 6,000 students.
About the department
The Integrative Neurophysiology department (https://inf.cncr.nl) at the Center for Neurogenomics and Cognitive Research (CNCR) is part of the NWO Gravitation consortium ‘Brainscapes’ and is funded by USA NIH Brain Initiative, the EU Human Brain Project and the Netherlands research council NWO with large investments currently supporting ambitious efforts to advance understanding of the function of cell types in the human and rodent brain in neuronal circuits and behavior.
Amsterdam is the home of the largest neuroscience community in the Netherlands, represented by the Amsterdam Neuroscience organization.
ApplicationAre you interested in this position? Please apply via the application button and upload your curriculum vitae and cover letter until 31 March 2020.
The job interviews are planned in the spring.
Applications received by e-mail will not be processed.
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact:
Name: Prof.dr. Huib Mansvelder
Position: Head department Integrative Neurophyisology
E-mail: email@example.com (Management Assistant)
No agencies Meer informatie en solliciteren