- ASSISTANT PROFESSOR (TENURE TRACK) HYBRID INTELLIGENCE
Are you an experienced and passionate AI researcher and do you want to contribute and collaborate to shape the future of Hybrid Intelligent systems that collaborate with people instead of replacing them? Then Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam wants to get to know you and encourages you to apply for this position!
Hybrid Intelligence concerns AI systems that collaborate with people instead of replacing them. We seek a new colleague who will actively contribute to the research on Hybrid Intelligence in the Knowledge Representation and Reasoning group of our Computer Science department, and who will teach courses in our Computer Science, Artificial Intelligence and Information Sciences education programs. Your research will be embedded in a 10 year, 20mln Euro national research programme on Hybrid Intelligence (www.hybrid-intelligence-centre.nl).
Possible research topics in Hybrid Intelligence include (but are not limited to):
- AI systems that can explain their conclusions and recommendations
- AI systems that are aware of the knowledge of other agents (either machines or humans)
- AI systems that are aware of and adjust to the context in which they operate
- AI system that are aware of the limitations of their own capabilities and respond accordingly
- AI systems that integrate learning, reasoning and planning
We are interested in both the theoretical foundations as well as practical implementations of any of these and other Hybrid Intelligence topics.
The tenure track position is starting at the level of assistant professor in the areas of research, education and management (40%:40%:20%), and contains among others the following duties:
- performing research in the field of Hybrid Intelligence
- supervising PhD students
- teaching in the Bachelor and Master programmes of the Department of Computer Science
- supervising MSc/BSc student research projects in CS/AI/IS
- contributing to and write research grant proposals
- contributing to administrative tasks
- completed a PhD in Artificial Intelligence or other relevant field.
- a strong international research profile, as shown by publications in the top journals and conferences
- academic teaching experience and/or experience in the supervision of MSc/PhD students
- priority will be given to applicants who have successfully applied for research funding, either individually or collaboratively
What are we offering?A challenging position in a socially involved organisation. On full-time basis the remuneration amounts to a minimum gross monthly salary of € 3.637.- and a maximum € 4.978,- in accordance with salary scale 11, depending on your education and experience. The job profile (UD2) is based on the university job ranking system and is vacant for at least 0.8 FTE.
This is a tenure track position; the initial appointment will be for a period of five years. Based on performance indicators agreed at the start of the appointment, a tenure track position will lead to a tenured position of UD1 in a period of maximally 5 years. In the fifth year of the appointment the tenure decision will be taken and a midterm review will take place in 2,5 years’ time after starting date.
Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as
- a maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus
- solid pension scheme (ABP)
- contribution to commuting expenses, optional model for designing a personalized benefits package
About Vrije Universiteit AmsterdamThe ambition of Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is clear: to contribute to a better world through outstanding education and ground-breaking research. And to be a university where personal education and societal involvement play a leading role. Where people from different disciplines and backgrounds work together on innovations and on generating new knowledge. Our teaching and research embrace the whole spectrum of science – from the humanities, the social sciences and the pure sciences through to the life sciences and the medical sciences.
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is home to more than 26,500 students. We employ more than 4,600 individuals. The VU campus is easily accessible, located in the heart of Amsterdam’s Zuidas district, a truly inspiring environment for teaching and research.
Diversity is one of our university’s core values. We are an inclusive community, and we believe that diversity and international activities enhance the quality of education and research. We are always looking for people who can enhance diversity on our campus thanks to their background and experience.
The Faculty of Science
The Faculty of Science inspires researchers and students to find sustainable solutions for complex societal issues. From forest fires to big data, from obesity to medicines and from molecules to the moon: our teaching and research programmes cover the full spectrum of the natural sciences. We share knowledge and experience with leading research institutes and industries, both here in the Netherlands and abroad.
Working at the Faculty of Science means working with students, PhD candidates and researchers, all with a clear focus on their field and a broad view of the world. We employ more than 1,250 staff members, and we are home to around 6,000 students.
About the department, institute, project
You will work in an internationally renowned research group on Knowledge Representation and Reasoning, part of a Computer Science department in the global top 100 (Times Higher ranking) in a city in the global top 20 for quality of life (Mercer ranking) and will be able to employ a fully funded PhD student at the start of the position.
ApplicationAre you interested in this position? Please apply via the application button and upload your curriculum vitae and cover letter until January 6th 2020.
The Department of Computer Science is committed to improving its gender balance. In view of the current composition of the department. Therefore we encourage female candidates to apply. In case of equal suitability, preference will be given to a female candidate.
Applications received by e-mail will not be processed.
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact:
Name: Prof. Dr. Frank van Harmelen
Position: Professor in Knowledge Representation and Reasoning
Telephone: 020 59 87731
No agencies Meer informatie en solliciteren