- Assistant Professor of political history
Job descriptionWe seek a new colleague who is passionate about teaching and researching modern and contemporary history (1800-present), global politics and international relations in historical perspective. Your job is to teach a specific set of courses in different programmes as a replacement for a colleague. Therefore, the job position is fixed for a period of 4 years. You will have the freedom to redesign elements of the courses, according to your interests and qualities, and in close consultation with the director of studies. 30% of your time is available for research, to present at conferences and publish, as well as for writing grant proposals.
- co-teaching and/or developing several courses, spread out over the year, including: a course on Modern European History and a course on History of International Relations within the bachelor programmes Geschiedenis and History & International Studies; a course on Global Justice in historical and political philosophy perspective within the programme Philosophy, Politics and Economics (PPE); a course on History of Democracy within the joint VU-UvA Humanities programme at Amsterdam University College (AUC); supervision of bachelor and master theses
- initiating and performing outstanding research leading to new publications
- active in preparing or participating in the writing of grant applications
- playing an active role in recruiting students by contributing to information sessions for prospective students
- if needed, being available for an administrative or management role
- completed PhD-thesis in History that demonstrates a clear affinity with politics/ international relations and modern/ contemporary history
- teaching experience (as evidenced by excellent teaching evaluations) in relevant topics for this job
- in case the candidate does not possess a university teaching qualification (BKO) and/ or English Language Certificate (at least level C1), being committed to obtain these qualifications in the first year
- proven track record of independent research, as demonstrated by publications (book(s); chapters in volumes; articles in academic journals)
- demonstrated ability in writing research proposals to acquire external research funding is a plus
- specialised historical knowledge, based on research, of a region other than Western-Europe is a plus
- (near) native proficiency (C1) in the languages of instruction, English and Dutch. If the candidate fulfils all other requirements but is not (near) native in Dutch, proficiency in Dutch may be acquired within one year after appointment;
What are we offering?A challenging position in a socially involved organization. On full-time basis the remuneration amounts to a minimum gross monthly salary of €3,637 (scale 11)
and a maximum €4,978 (scale 11), depending on your education and experience. The job profile is based on the university job ranking system and is vacant for 0.6 FTE.
The initial employment contract will affect a period of 4 years. The envisioned starting date is 1 February 2020.
Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- a maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus
- solid pension scheme (ABP)
- contribution to commuting expenses
- optional model for designing a personalized benefits package
About Vrije Universiteit AmsterdamThe ambition of Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is clear: to contribute to a better world through outstanding education and ground-breaking research. And to be a university where personal education and societal involvement play a leading role. Where people from different disciplines and backgrounds work together on innovations and on generating new knowledge. Our teaching and research embrace the whole spectrum of science – from the humanities, the social sciences and the pure sciences through to the life sciences and the medical sciences.
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is home to more than 26,500 students. We employ more than 4,600 individuals. The VU campus is easily accessible, located in the heart of Amsterdam’s Zuidas district, a truly inspiring environment for teaching and research.
Diversity is one of our university’s core values. We are an inclusive community, and we believe that diversity and international activities enhance the quality of education and research. We are always looking for people who can enhance diversity on our campus thanks to their background and experience.
Faculty of Humanities
The Faculty of Humanities links a number of fields of study: Language, Literature and Communication, Art & Culture, History, Antiquities and Philosophy. Our teaching and research focus on current societal and scientific themes: from artificial intelligence to visual culture, from urbanization to the history of slavery, from ‘fake news’ in journalism to communication in organizations. We strive to ensure small group sizes. Innovative education and interdisciplinary research are our hallmarks.
Working at the Faculty of Humanities means making a real contribution to the quality of leading education and research in an inspiring and personal work and study climate. We employ more than 250 staff members, and we are home to around 1,300 students.
About the department
The chair of political history is embedded within the department of Art & Culture, History, and Antiquity (AHA) of the Faculty of Humanities. The research of most of the VU historians is embedded within CLUE+ Research Institute for Culture, History and Heritage, and within national and international research networks and schools.
ApplicationAre you interested in this position? Please apply via the application button and upload your curriculum vitae and cover letter until 8 December 2019. The job interviews are planned for December 2019 and/or January 2020.
Applications received by e-mail will not be processed.
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact:
Name: dr. Ronald Kroeze
Position: coordinator of studies
Telephone: +31 (0)20 598 6382
No agencies Meer informatie en solliciteren